Monday, August 13, 2012

The importance of a hiatus


If I am to metaphorically describe myself, it will be the 1928 Ford Model A from the 1958 Bollywood classic, Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi. It runs smooth; at times too smooth perhaps but not too long before suddenly braking to provide a wild twist. I do not wish to be a 90mph roadrunner eternally beep-beeping towards an imaginary goal. Nor the boring tortoise that walked slowly but never paused. I like my pauses. Like good sushi, they are palatable, classy and expensive.

I love reading about ordinary people who went on to achieve great things because they loved the things they did. And the more I read I realize that I belong to the unfortunate medley who are stuck between being painfully aware of what they are good at and having to profess allegiance to a vocation simply because it is too unconventional to state otherwise. Therefore; to quote a dialogue from Gladiator, "Sometimes I do what I have to; at other time I do what I want to". The pause gives me the vent to be what I want to; a dreamer, an idealist, a writer, a painter, a sculptor, even a singer (mediocre at best in reality, but consummate nonetheless in my dreams). Once done, I join the highway, where everyone's an Aston Martin on the move to they-know-not-where, yet scared to pause for fear of being branded a loser.

A pause, is ironically a period of activity for the bohemian part of my brain. It may mean breaking away from the diurnal routine and drowning in a deluge of movies. It may mean skipping dinner in a mad race to reach the end of an absorbing novel. It may be an exhausting trip to an idyllic town in the countryside to see the house where a childhood hero lived. It may mean an inordinate wait for nothing, but just a gamble to witness the one thing that your eye yearns to see. The pause, gives one a chance (as slight as it may be) to break away from routine and rebel to become what Bernard Shaw called "the unreasonable man", for a while at least.

So, if like me, you have not read a good book in a while; Not been able to patiently hold your breath and wait  for the opportune moment to press the shutter (because of too many thoughts in your head); Not been able to read and know well about the place you went to visit, and the unknown cuisine you ate; and have only been able to aimlessly roam in shopping centers to opiate your mind to a mental stupor; Then pause. Maybe it is time to pull yourself over the curb and clean the sludge. 

2 comments:

Animesh Kumar said...

This totally resonated with me. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps You would have been a 90mph beep beeping Road Runner running for an imaginary goal,willy-nilly,had you been chased by a coyote of over ambition.Without paying any heeds to ZNMDB displaying on the way side bill board it is always better and prudent to live the life on your term, as far as practicable, and accepting every thing that comes on your way,flower or thorn,with smile and fortitude.Good Thinking.Keep Going.